Monday, June 2, 2008

One of those flings


It was raining leaves, and they probably didn't even realize it. But from where I stood, the amphitheater seemed to be showering its petals down on the graduating class. I hadn't ever noticed it before, probably because when I was sitting in their place, I was also just focused on the speaker, waiting intently for the ceremony to be over. But sitting at a distance was wonderful - I finally got to enjoy Swarthmore for its beauty, without the stress of work, or the emotional burden of graduation.

Swat is insanely beautiful - one of the most beautiful places I've seen in all its simplicity. There is nothing grand or overbearing about it. A couple of friends and I spent some time under the shade of a massive tree, and I remembered reading the Masnawi with my class under a literal curtain of cherry blossoms. Discussing poetry under a tree seems so annoyingly collegiate in retrospect but at the moment you couldn't help but think, "wow, this is why I love this place
." We walked through the rose garden (if only I could take everyone through that rose garden), and a group of parents walked by, all talking about how beautiful the garden was. I heard one of the men say "I'd like one of those !" and I couldn't help but smile and think that it was mine, and that I had owned a part of it. That reminded me of how a friend of mine had compared Swarthmore to a romance in his senior speech. I'm not sure what he thinks of the comparison now, but I still find it appropriate. It was irrational and frustrating, short and sometimes too long, but at the end of it, you come out a better person.


The entry is somewhat corny, but it made me happy to go back to Swat. I ignored the changes of course, like the new New Dorm, and I had hoped I'd be able to walk through the crum one last time (I didn't really do that senior year and somewhat regret it). But what was also incredible was sitting with friends and talking about all the ways we had changed, and not being phased by it. Transformation just seemed to be expected and natural. As one of my friends put it, we all seemed to be having the same experience but in different places.

Graduation was nothing less than chaotic, but memorable in all its craziness. It's somewhat funny to hear some of the graduating seniors talk about how sad they are and what a wonderful time they had, and how they are never going to get it again. And I want to be able to tell them that it gets better after, but they won't believe me until they actually live it. Thank god college isnt the best four years of your life, but it definitely is four years worth going through. But really, I can only say this now.

No comments: